General membership meeting
held on Tuesday March 20 at 5:15 p.m. at the 3rd Street Gallery
- Brief Summary of BOD Meeting
- Brief Update on New Web Site
- Announcements and Reminders
Break for goodies and socializin’
Program: DVD video – “Nuts & Bolts: What I Wish I’d known Before Ever Picking Up a Brush” by Quang Ho (select parts).
SAG MEMBERS PRESENT: Curt Gillespie, Hulda Benson, Gary Benson, Jim Jones, Kathy Boulle, Jo Harwig, Bill Gillette, Jeanene Commerford, Carol Bribach, Karen LeBlond, Angela Arterburn
Everyone introduced themselves. Curt went over the proposed meeting format for the SAG Membership Meetings. SAG is run by a Board of Directors. What the SAG Board is working on and a brief update from their meetings will be emailed to the SAG Members to keep them updated. He would like to do a brief summary at the beginning of the meeting, go over the Agenda items and Committee Reports for each meeting as briefly as we can so members can stay and focus on the Program scheduled for the meeting.
Karen LeBlond approved the February 7, 2012 SAG Minutes as amended and Curt 2nd. Motion carried.
BRIEF SUMARY OF BOD MEETING
2. Brief Summary of BOD Meeting
Featured Artists for 2012
On behalf of Linnea, Curt presented the list of the Featured Artists chosen for 2012:
2012 SAG Featured Artists
• Jim Havey – photographer
• Darryl Halbrooks – 2D original art
• Annie Dawid – 3D
Hang – July 24 or 25
Reception – August 4
Pick up – Aug 28
• Paul Biron – photographer
• Jeanene Parker – 2D original art
• Thomas Ossner – 3D
Hang – Aug 28 or 29
Reception – Sept 1
Pick up – Oct 5
Since the Guild decided to accept Credit Cards, they have accounted for 82% of the sales in 2011. It was a good investment for the Guild.
Kathy Boulle is updating memberships. To date there are 32 up to date members.
Hulda Benson is updating list of galleries/art centers for SAG’s mailing list
Charlotte Havey and Curt attended Grant-writing workshop. Charlotte will be working on Grants. She has also taken the new Rack Cards around to the various businesses. Thanks!
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Curt Gillespie, Angela Arterburn and Gerald Merfeld attended a ‘brainstorming’ session that was sponsored by CART. They listened to our ideas and will give us a ‘feedback’ report.
The BOD for SAG have Brainstormed ideas for a SAG long term/visualization plan/goals
Sharon L. will perform an audit of the 2011 books.
Angie gave a report on the 5-county “way-finding” which indicated the need for better town signage.
3. Brief update on new web site –
Curt asked the BOD to check out the new site and help with some feedback, etc. To date, the SAG members that are working on their member page are Gary Benson, Claudia Morris, Sharon Langfeldt and Curt Gillespie. They are the ‘testers’ to see what needs to changes, etc in the instructions for member artists to do their own page.
A) Dues reminder – Kathy Boulle has emailed out reminders for membership dues
B) SAG Calendar Competition entry is March 11 and April 1. The12 month rule was waived for Calendar show. We got all the Sponsorships for Calendar. Thanks to everyone who helped.
C) Town of Westcliffe’s 125 year Anniversary is this year. They are having a Logo contest. Those interested contact Kathy Reis with the Town of Westcliffe. They are also doing a “Then and Now” historical photo exhibit – need a coordinator, see Kathy Reis. Angie said she would check with Kathy to see what they really need.
1. Shootout in the Sangres – July 20th – 22nd – Bill Gillette and Jim Havey
2. Stephen Datz – Plein Air Workshop – July 27 – 29th – This still needs confirmed. He will be staying in Gerald’s apartment above his Gallery.
3. Gerald Merfeld – August 5 – 10th
4. The Spring Show, held in May is open to everyone. The main focus for the show are from the following groups:
Monday Art Group
Tuesday Life Drawing
Jacque Keller Class
Custer County Photo Club
The above groups can enter with FREE. For entries that are not apart of the 4 groups, the normal fee applies.
5. Linnea is still finalizing the Volunteers and work schedules for the 2012 Gallery season. Carol Bribach said she could work 1 day a month, preferably a Thursday or Friday. Linnea still needs a Volunteer Coordinator. Work schedule should be out soon.
6. Talked about a Social Media person to manage the Blog, Facebook, etc on the web page. We will look into this to see what all is needed.
7. ART HULLABALOO – We are changing the format. Having more variety with the arts: Visual, Music, Cuisine, mini Demos, Poetry reading, etc. More to come.
1) Salida Circus is having an Art Auction fundraiser at the Back Haven in Salida on April 20th/
2) Sunny Vista Living Center is having their Annual Art Show fundraiser in Colorado Sprints on September 14th for those interested in donating.
3) Buelah is having their Beulah Valley Arts & Craft Show the 1st weekend in August (August 4 & 5)
4) Karen LeBlond announced that Rotary now has a RAFFLE License. Karen thought that maybe there might be a way in which Rotary could help with a fund raiser for a building for SAG. Angie said it could be done if Rotary is the main sponsor, etc. Angie needs to talk with Brian at Antlers.
5) Another Fund raising concept brought up by Angie and Curt was a Dinner Dance or just a Dance
Denim and Diamonds?
6) Jo Harwig showed everyone the new logo design that Sharon Conner did for a Wine company in Canon City. Sharon won the contest for the design, which is now featured on the wine label.
We had a short Break and then a Program:
DVD video – “Nuts & Bolts: What I Wish I’d known Before Ever Picking Up a Brush” by Quang Ho (select parts).
Next SAG Membership meeting: April 17th, 2012 – 5:15 pm.
Angela Arterburn – Secretary – SAG