October 4-6, 2012
Treat yourself to three magnificent Fall days painting in the beautiful Wet Mountain Valley. Whether you favor sweeping scenic views of the magnificent Sangre de Cristo mountains, intimate outdoor scenery, historic buildings or models in period costumes at a historic ranch, we have it all. Let the artists of the Sangres Art Guild show you some of their favorite spots to paint and find some new ones of your own.
The Paint-out is once again being held during the 6th annual Arts Hullabaloo! in Westcliffe on October 6th. This fun event shows off arts of all kinds: visual arts, performing arts, musical arts, culinary arts, fiber arts, and martial arts, to name a few. Various activities will be taking place all over town. Come and expand your artistic horizons!
Enter the juried Plein Air Paint-out with cash awards!
- $1,000 1st Place, NatureWalk Living Award
- $300 2nd Place
- $200 3rd Place
- $100 A Painted View Award
- Plus additional sponsor prizes of cash and merchandise.
Our Juror is Stephen C. Datz, nationally known for his superb plein air and studio work.
The Paint-out begins Thursday October 4th and concludes Saturday October 6th with a juried show and presentation of awards.
Registration is $35, or register early and save $5. To REGISTER, simply send your name, address and phone number to Sangres Art Guild and indicate it’s for the Plein Air Paint-out. You can pay $30 on-site the day you get your canvases, paper, or boards stamped.
Rules for the juried Plein Air Paint-out show
- En Plein Air is defined as a painting of an outdoor scene done entirely on location.
- All paintings entered must be 2 dimensional and completed during the event dates, all traditional mediums accepted (oils, watercolor, pastel, acrylic, mixed media).
- Blank painting surfaces must be stamped prior to painting at the 3rd St. Gallery (see maps). We will be open at 8:00 a.m. each morning for registration and coffee get together for artists.
- Artists can paint anywhere in Custer County on Thursday and Friday, October 4th & 5th. On Friday afternoon, the 5th, its “Beckwith Time” where 1880′s-period costumed models will pose for painters and photographers at the Historic Beckwith Ranch. Artists are strongly encouraged to paint in the downtown area on Saturday October 6th during the Arts Hullabaloo!
- Artwork must be suitably framed (per Gallery Criteria) and brought to the gallery ready to hang by 2:00 p.m. on Saturday October 6th. The back of the painting must be stamped by SAG and marked with the artists name, title, medium and price. No limit to the number of entries.
- Artists’ Reception and Show opening Saturday, October 6th 4-7p.m., with awards ceremony at 5 p.m. Public welcome!
- Commission for all Sales is 30% for SAG members, 50% for non-SAG members.
- Entrants must sign waivers of liability for the show. SAG assumes no liability for the paintings, however we will make our best effort to assure the security of the artwork once it is at the show.
- Artists agree to the use of their images for the limited purpose of promotional activities of the Sangres Art Guild.
- All artwork must be removed by the buyer or the artist on Saturday or Sunday November 3rd or 4th, or by special arrangement with the gallery manager. No early withdrawals.
- Artists must be 18 years or older to participate in the show.
- Artists are encouraged to enter additional plein air work in the separate Sangres Art Guild Plein Air Show (see below) for additional sales opportunities.
Sangres Art Guild reserves the right to change or update these rules at any time.
Sangres Art Guild Plein Air Show
Different than the Paint-out Show, this show runs concurrently with the exhibition of artwork from the Plein Air Paint-out, and will remain up during the same time frame. Intake is October 4th through 6th. This is a special show of plein air artwork not necessarily created during the Paint-out. Each artist may enter up to five pieces of artwork, per normal gallery criteria. Artists participating in the Paint-out may enter up to five paintings at no charge.