Awards were announced during the Opening Reception on September 27 at 3rd Street Gallery. Thirty one artists participated in this year’s event. Twenty seven artists created and submitted 79 paintings for sale and awards, judged by noted artist Cheryl St. John. Artists came from all over Colorado and from Indiana, Missouri and Florida. The reception saw sales of the freshly painted artwork, wonderful music of the Dixieland Band, a very artistic spread of great hors d’ oeuvres, and robust camaraderie.
Images of the winning artwork can be seen on the Alla Prima Show page.
- Best of Show: Shu Shu Clark for her oil “Grape Creek Morning”
- First Place: Jennifer Riefenberg, “River Sings the Blues”, oil
- Second Place: Lorie Merfeld-Batson, “Cowgirl’s Repose”, oil
- Third Place: Jean Krueger, “Cottonwood Creek”, watercolor
- Best Nocturne: Curt Gillespie, “Cliff’s Edge”, oil
- Best Impressionism: Jan Kraus, “Hermit Pass”, oil
- Judge’s Choice Award: Mary Pat Ettinger, “Morning at Grape Creek”, acrylic
- Best Miniature: Pattie Wall, “Young Quake, on Rainbow Trail”, mixed media
- People’s Choice Award: Lorie Merfeld-Batson, “Cowgirl’s Repose”, oil
- Honorable Mention: Joan Rauch, “Find the Pelican”, watercolor
- Honorable Mention: Teresa Vito, “Grape Creek”, oil
- Novice Award (new to plein air in the last 2 years): Andy Mast, “Holy Ground”, graphite pencil
On the morning of Saturday, September 28, a ‘Quick Draw’ competition was held and the public chose the winners! 1st Place went to Lorie Merfeld-Batson and 2nd Place to Jacqueline Keller. It was a fun event to watch the artists create finished artwork from life in just under 3 hours.
Special thanks to awards judge Cheryl St. John, Dan Epperson and the Dixieland Band, and all of our sponsors, especially Dark Skies of the Wet Mountain Valley and My Art Trip, the APW committee, and creative reception hosts Teresa and Amy!
Go to 3rd Street Gallery and enter a ‘Drawing for a Drawing’ of artwork by Curt Gillespie. The drawing will be held on October 30th. You can view and purchase the APW artworks and enter the drawing Thursday-Monday, 11-4. APW and Arts Hullabaloo are brought to you by Sangres Art Guild.