The 6th Annual Arts Hullabaloo! is Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012 in downtown Westcliffe. The all-day affair (hours 11am to 4pm) is held in conjunction with the 3-day Plein Air Paint-Out competition.
This year Westcliffe hosts many “mini” artistic events by a diverse group of artists, writers, actors, and artisans of all kinds. This fun event shows off the arts: visual arts, performing arts, musical arts, culinary arts, fiber arts, poetry, literary and martial arts, to name a few. Artists will paint in public, there will be poetry, great food art, fiber arts, music and other artistic presentations. There will also be face-painting for the kids, tie-dying and kid-sized art tables, as well as Jim Jackson’s Art Guffaw, a humorous performance for the kids using art as the medium of expression.
Presentations will be at various venues all around Westcliffe. The schedule will allow visitors to roam from venue to venue, depending on their interests. Each presentation won’t be long, providing plenty of time to explore the venue and get to the next artistic event.
Schedule of Events
Hours are 11am to 4pm on Saturday October 6.
- 11:30am – “Basket Weaving” Watch how it is done by Simone. Jess Price Memorial Park
- 12pm to 2:00pm – The Art of Poetry – Poetry reading by Joyce Gregger at Brookwood Gallery, off and on during these times. Joyce is known for her poetry reading in Salida, Colorado
- 12:30pm – Decorator Desserts on a Dime – at Mavericks in Silver Cliff
- 12:45pm – “The Art of Transforming Western Décor” at Real West, corner of 2nd and Main
- 1pm – The “EducatORES” – Fantastic music ensemble – at the Wine Mine
- 1:30pm – “Brookwood Gallery” Come an met artist Gerald Merfeld.
- 1:30pm to 4pm ‘Piano Music by Liz’. Liz VanSomeren will play 20 to 30 minute sets throughout the afternoon at the Brookwood Gallery, 211 Main Street
- 2pm – “Wine Tasting 101” at the Wine Mine, 109 3rd St.
- 2:30pm – “The Art of How to Tie a Scarf and the many ways to wear it” Lady Unique Boutique & Boutique Off Main, 103 N 3rd St.
- 3pm – “Basket Weaving” Watch how it’s done by Simone. Jess Price Memorial Park
- 4pm to 5pm – “Too Many Trombones” musical ensemble in front of the 3rd Street Gallery at the start of the Plein Air Show reception. YOU WONT WANT TO MISS IT!
- 4pm to 7pm – Plein Air Show reception – Open to the Public. 3rd Street Gallery. Paint Out Competition and on the 1st Floor. Awards at 5pm. Plein Air not in the competition will be displayed on the 2nd floor. A GREAT SHOW! 783-0886
Throughout the day
- The Art of Sleep, sponsored by the Cardiopulmonary Department at Heart Of The Rockies Regional Medical Center will be a Sleep Apnea and Sleep education booth. Screenings for sleep apnea and educational material will be presented. Will be set up west of Sangrita Restaurant
- The Art of Pottery – At Wild Iris Gallery on 3rd Street, Tony will be demonstrating the Art of throwing pots. GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY and throw some yourself. Extra wheels will be there so you can try it yourself!
- More Pottery – Karen LeBlond of Blue Moon Pottery will have her stuff on display and for sale. Come and meet the Artist on the porch of the 3rd Street Gallery, just down from the Wine Mine
- The Art of History – ‘Reel’ Memories DVDs and Calendar Sales. 12pm to 4pm in Brookwood Gallery, 211 Main Street. The recently released 2013 Schoolhouse Calendars and our highly popular DVDs by Stan Coleman wil be available. Look for those and calendar sets in downtown Westcliffe, 12pm to 4pm. The event is sponsored by the Sangres Art Guild. A table will be set up and staffed by Dorothy Urban and volunteers in Brookwood Gallery at 211 Main Street. SEE YOU THERE!
- The Art of Quilts – Various Quilts will be on display at Grammie Tammies Quilt Shop, 402 Main Street
- The Art of Weaving & Spinning – You can watch weaving on a loom as well as spinning inside at Sangres Home Décor – corner of 2nd & Main. While you are there, step around the corner on 2nd Street and meet Bill Gillette (see below)
- The Art of Photography – Meet Bill Gillette and see some of his Nationally acclaimed photos. Learn of his books and stories of his travels. Silver Light Gallery, 103 S. 2nd. St
- Plein Air Paint-Out Competition – Watch many of the Artists paint on the spot. Make sure to come to the reception later. See time above
- Caricature Drawing – by Plein Air Artist Ken Hartman – 200 Block of Main Street. Have your portrait or character drawing done and enjoy him drawing others
- The Art of Wood Burning – Demonstrations at Chappys, 200 block of Main
- The Art of Honey – Mary O’Conner of Rosita Mary’s will have her display in front of Sangrita. Handmade Lotions, etc from honey
VISIT THE GALLERIES AND SHOPS!
After Arts Hullabaloo and the Paint-out Reception
- 6:00pm – Art of Music – Gypsy Rose and the String Pluckers will be performing at Mavericks in Silver Cliff.
Enjoy the Art of Cuisine at the various restaurants in town as they serve something special for Arts Hullabaloo.
Stuff for Everyone at Jess Price Park
- Basket weaving
- Displays of Recyclable Art
- Painted Barrels on Display
- Energy Efficiency Demos
- Various Booths
- Martial Arts Demonstration
For the kids at Jess Price Park
- Face Painting
- Chalk Art Competition – any sidewalk around town – get your chalk and sign up at the 3rd Street Gallery. Prizes are $30 (1st Place), $20 (2nd Place), $10 (3rd Place).
- Kid Sized Paint Easels
- 12pm to 1pm – “Make Quilt Blocks” projects for the kids by the Olde Schoolhouse Quilters
- 1pm – Jim Jackson’s Art Guffaw — Big Bubbles and more!
- Tie Dying – Try it throughout the day (at either the 3rd Street Gallery or Jess Price Park)
- 2:30pm – Jim Jackson’s Art Guffaw — Big Bubbles and more!
Be sure to check out the Art of Yoga, a fundraiser for KWMV Radio at CLUB AMERICA