The 8th Annual Plein Air Paint-Out & Paint-In
Treat yourself to four brilliant Fall days painting in the delightful Wet Mountain Valley of Colorado. Sweeping scenic views of the magnificent Sangre de Cristo mountains, intimate outdoor scenes, historic architecture, live figure and ranch models, and studio still lifes await your creativity.
The event includes alla prima painting created from life in the manner of plein air, but not necessarily done outdoors. Subject matter includes landscapes, as well as figurative and still life. All paintings will be created from life during the event. Historic ranches and other sites will be open for landscape artists. Figure models will be available daily for indoor painting.
The event begins Wednesday October 1 and concludes Saturday October 4 with a judged show and sale, artist’s reception and presentation of awards.
All Prima Westcliffe is again being held during the 8th annual Arts Hullabaloo in Westcliffe on October 4th. This fun event highlights arts of all kinds all over town throughout the day. Come and expand your artistic horizons!
We welcome Mark Daily as our awards judge for 2014. A faculty member of the Art Student’s League of Denver, Mark has professionally painted for over 40 years and is a well-published, award-winning artist who has had numerous one- and two-man shows in prestigious galleries. Mark paints landscapes, still lifes and people with equal aplomb, making him a “best fit” for judging Alla Prima Westcliffe.
- $1,000 NatureWalk Living 1st Place cash award
- PleinAir Magazine Award of Excellence 1/4-Page ad award ($1,100 value)
- $300 Second Place cash award
- $200 Third Place cash award
- Plus merchandise awards and door prizes from:
Artists And Collectors Events
The events are still being firmed up, but may be:
- Wednesday Evening artists mixer
- Thursday evening Wet Wall at Brookwood Gallery – Collectors will not want to miss this!
- Friday Evening artists and collectors mixer – pizza night!
- Saturday Evening, 4-6 pm Artists’ Reception, Award Ceremony (5 pm) and Sale with In Concert’s ever-popular “Too Many Trombones” providing the evening music festivities. Free appetizers, wine and other drink. Door prizes.
Alla Prima Painting Sites
Artists can create at spectacular plein air painting sites in the valley; we’ll provide a map at registration or you can choose your own site.
On any day, artists can choose to paint a model or still life at an indoor venue; schedule to be determined. Model fees are included in your registration fee (you may want to provide a small optional tip for your model).
Rules For The Alla Prima Competition
- Alla Prima for this event is defined as a painting of an outdoor or indoor scene done entirely on location.
- All paintings entered must be 2 dimensional and completed during the event dates, all traditional mediums are accepted (oils, watercolor, pastel, acrylic, mixed media).
- Blank painting surfaces must be stamped at the 3rd Street Gallery (see maps below) prior to painting on October 1, 2, 3 or 4. The gallery will be open at 8:00 a.m. each morning for registration and coffee/tea/fruit/goodies for artists.
- Artists can paint anywhere in Custer County October 1-4, or at any of the designated studio sets and/or their own indoor set. Artists are strongly encouraged to paint in Jess Price Park on Saturday October 5th during Arts Hullabaloo, All sales by artists on Saturday in the park are commission-free and can be any kind of art the artist wants to offer for sale. Sales and sales tax must be handled by the artist. Booth fee is free to Alla Prima Westcliffe registered artists.
- Artwork painted Wednesday or Thursday is eligible for the “Wet Wall” show at Brookwood Gallery in Westcliffe.
- Artwork for the “Wet Wall” Collector Preview Thursday October 2 must be brought to Brookwood Gallery by the artist, who will also be responsible for removing their unsold artwork that evening. Artwork will be presented framed or unframed on the wall or on easels provided by the Art Guild and/or the artist. Artwork need not be framed, but frames are recommended. Artwork must have the SAG stamp on the back, as well as the artist name, title, medium and price. Sales will be handled by SAG.
- Artwork for the main show must be suitably framed (per Gallery Criteria) and brought to the gallery ready to hang by 10:00 a.m. on Saturday October 4th. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS! Late deliveries result in forfeit of registration fee.
- The back of the painting must be stamped by SAG and marked with the artist’s name, title and medium.
- Limit 3 entries per artist.
- Limit 350 square inches per piece (example: 16″x20″ = 320 sq.in.) *or* limit 700 square inches aggregate total if any one piece is over 350 sq.in. (example one 20″x30″ = 600 sq.in. + one 5″x7″ = 35 sq.in. + one 7″x9″ = 63 sq.in.; aggregate total = 600 + 35 + 63 = 698 sq.in.). Size limit refers to internal frame dimensions (external mat dimension for matted pieces).
- Artists’ Reception and Show opening Saturday, October 4, 4pm to 6pm, with awards ceremony at 5pm. Public welcome! Invite your clients, too!
- Commission for all Sales is 30% for SAG members, 40% for non-SAG members. You can join the guild during the event for the lower commission.
- Entrants must sign waivers of liability for the show. SAG assumes no liability for the paintings, however we will make our best effort to assure the security of the artwork once it is at the show.
- Entrants assume all liability for their presence and conduct on private property during the event. Please respect property owner’s rights. Do not trespass.
- Artists agree to the use of their images and images of their artwork for the limited purpose of promotional activities of the Sangres Art Guild.
- All artwork must be removed by the artist on Saturday or Sunday November 1 or 2, or by special arrangement with the gallery manager. No early withdrawals! Buyers may remove the artwork with purchase.
- Artists must be 18 years or older to participate in the show.
Suggestions For Artists
See Cliff Austin’s Checklist for a Wet Painting Session.