The 9th Annual Plein Air Paint-Out & Paint-In
Treat yourself to four brilliant Fall days painting in the delightful Wet Mountain Valley of Colorado. Sweeping scenic views of the magnificent Sangre de Cristo mountains, intimate outdoor scenes, historic architecture, live figure and ranch models, and special events await your creativity.
This paint-from-life event includes alla prima painting created from life in the manner of plein air, but not necessarily done outdoors.
Subject matter includes landscapes, as well as figurative and still life. All paintings will be created from life during the event. Historic ranches and other sites will be open for landscape artists. Figure models will be available for indoor painting.
The event begins Wednesday September 30 and concludes Saturday October 3, 2015 with a judged show and sale, artist’s reception and presentation of awards.
Alla Prima Westcliffe is again being held during the 9th annual Arts Hullabaloo in Westcliffe on October 3. This fun event highlights arts of all kinds all over town throughout the day. Come and expand your artistic horizons!
We’re pleased to have Karen Vance, master signature artist of Plein Air Artists of Colorado as our awards judge. Karen’s fine art studies include art and graphics at Northern Illinois University, the Art Institute of Chicago and Classical Painting at the Village Art Academy in Skokie, Illinois. Karen is a Signature Member of both Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters, and the National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters, and is a Master Signature Member of the American Woman Artists.
- Best of Show: $500 cash + 1/4-page ad in PleinAir Magazine
- First Place: $400 cash
- Second Place: $250 cash
- Third Place: $150 cash
- Judson’s Art Outfitters Award: $150 certificate
- Front Range Frames Award: $150 value plein air frame
- Judson’s Art Outfitters Award: $100 certificate
- H.R. Meininger Award: $100 certificate
- Chartpak merchandise award: Grumbacher paint, brush tote, palette knives value $80
- Two Honorable Mentions, each $50 cash
- Two Novice Awards for “new” painters: each $50 cash (Novice is defined as any artist new to plein air within the past two years)
- Judson’s Art Outfitters Novice Award: $50 certificate
- Plus randomly drawn awards for artists from:
- Blick Art Materials: Four $50 gift certificates as door prizes
- Jerry’s Artarama: Two $50 gift certificates as door prizes
- SourceTek Canvas Panels door prize panels and “folder-stuffers”
- Quiller Gallery: Two packages of Stephen Quiller note cards as door prizes
- Strathmore watercolor paper block donated by Blick Art Materials
- Wednesday, Sept. 30 – 8:00 a.m. registration & canvas-stamping begins at 3rd Street Gallery and continues all day. Breakfast goodies and coffee/tea available. Paint anywhere in the Wet Mountain Valley. Gallery closes at 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday evening artists mixer – 6:30 p.m. – Bohemian Night at the gallery. Popcorn, BYO wine, art talk and the film “Frida” starring Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina.
- Thursday, Oct. 1 – 8:00 a.m. registration and canvas-stamping continues throughout the day at 3rd Street Gallery. Gallery closes at 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday – 8:00 a.m. – meet at 3rd Street Gallery for caravan to optional Bear Basin Ranch to paint luscious ranch scenes and/or a ranch figure, horses, wagons, etc. Or meet at Bear Basin Ranch directly at 8:30 or so and paint the morning away! Figure model available this morning at the Ranch. Lunch fixin’s will be available at the gallery for optional donation.
- Thursday evening – 6:00-7:00 p.m. — bring one painting to Brookwood Gallery for Artists Preview (see below). Then go to Pizza Night at Tony’s.
- Thursday evening artists mixer – 6:30 p.m. – Pizza Night! at Tony’s Pizza in Silver Cliff, featuring the live music of Barb St. Amour starting at 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 2 – 8:00 a.m. registration and canvas-stamping continues throughout the day at 3rd Street Gallery. Gallery closes at 4:00 p.m.
- Friday is Water Day – 8:00 a.m. – meet at 3rd Street Gallery for optional caravan to DeWeese Reservoir or Grape Creek Canyon nearby.
- Friday evening Artists Preview – 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. at Brookwood Gallery. Artists bring one wet or previously painted artwork for a collector’s preview and artistic evening. Vino Salida will provide the wine tasting to go with some tasty hors d’oeuvres.
- Westcliffe Center for the Performing Arts 2015 Ten-Minute-Play Competition, 7:30 p.m, historic Jones Theater. The WCPA’s sixteenth play competition is dedicated to showcasing new works by playwrights and promises an enjoyable evening of variety. 10% discount to registered APW artists.
- Saturday, Oct. 3 – 8:00 to 10:00 a.m. deadline for competition entries – NO EXCEPTIONS at 3rd Street Gallery.
- Saturday – 10:00 a.m. – Arts Hullabaloo parade starts. Artists can march in parade and/or paint in Jess Price Park during Arts Hullabaloo. Vendor application (free).
- Saturday afternoon, 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. pick up painting from Brookwood Gallery (or pick up Sunday morning, see below).
- Saturday Evening, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. Artists’ Reception, Award Ceremony (5:00 p.m.) and Sale. In Concert’s ever-popular “Too Many Trombones” will play from 4-5 pm. Free appetizers, wine and other drink. Door prizes for registered artists. Invite your friends and clients!
- Sunday 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. pick up paintings from Brookwood Gallery Artists Preview.
Rules For The Alla Prima Competition
- FYI — no change from last year (except the Artists Preview).
- Alla Prima for this event is defined as a painting of an outdoor or indoor scene done entirely on location.
- All paintings entered must be 2 dimensional and completed during the event dates, all traditional mediums are accepted (oils, watercolor, pastel, acrylic, mixed media).
- Blank painting surfaces must be stamped at the 3rd Street Gallery (see maps below) prior to painting on September 30, October 1, 2, or 3. The gallery will be open at 8:00 a.m. each morning for registration and coffee/tea/fruit/goodies for artists.
- Artists can paint anywhere in Custer County and the Wet Mountain Valley during the event and/or their own indoor or outdoor set. Artists are strongly encouraged to paint in Jess Price Park on Saturday during Arts Hullabaloo. All sales by artists on Saturday in the park are commission-free and can be any kind of art the artist wants to offer for sale. Sales and sales tax must be handled by the artist. Booth fee is free to Alla Prima Westcliffe registered artists. Vendor application.
- Artists Preview Friday October 2, 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. (optional). One piece of artwork may be entered by the artist Thursday night before Pizza Night, 7:00 p.m. at Brookwood Gallery. Artists are responsible for removing their unsold artwork Saturday 3-4 p.m. or Sunday 9-10 a.m.. Artwork need not be framed, but frames are recommended. Artwork will be presented framed or unframed on the wall or on easels provided by the Art Guild and/or the artist. Artwork can be created during Alla Prima Westcliffe 2015 or have been previously painted.
- Artwork for the main show must be suitably framed (per Gallery Criteria) and brought to the 3rd Street Gallery ready to hang by 10:00 a.m. on Saturday October 3. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS! Late deliveries result in forfeit of registration fee.
- The back of the painting must be visibly stamped by SAG and marked with the artist’s name, title and medium.
- Limit 3 entries per artist.
- Limit 350 square inches per piece (example: 16″x20″ = 320 sq.in.) *or* limit 700 square inches aggregate total if any one piece is over 350 sq.in. (example one 20″x30″ = 600 sq.in. + one 5″x7″ = 35 sq.in. + one 7″x9″ = 63 sq.in.; aggregate total = 600 + 35 + 63 = 698 sq.in.). Size limit refers to internal frame dimensions (external mat dimension for matted pieces).
- Artists’ Reception and Show opening Saturday, October 3, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m., with awards ceremony at 5:00 p.m. Public welcome! Invite your clients, too!
- Commission for all Sales is 30% for SAG members, 40% for non-SAG members. You can join the guild during the event for the lower commission.
- Entrants must sign waivers of liability for the show. SAG assumes no liability for the paintings, however we will make our best effort to assure the security of the artwork once it is at the show.
- Entrants and their guests assume all liability for their presence and conduct on private property during the event. Please respect property owner’s rights. Do not trespass.
- Artists agree to the use of their images and images of their artwork for the limited purpose of promotional activities of the Sangres Art Guild.
- Unsold artwork must be removed by the artist on Saturday or Sunday October 31 or November 1. Early withdrawals can be made by special arrangement with the gallery manager. In addition, the gallery manager will make a “Northern Colorado trip” in early November to return paintings to Denver/Loveland area artists. Buyers may remove the artwork with purchase.
- Artists must be 18 years or older to participate in the show.
Accommodations And Info About The Area
Suggestions For Artists
See Cliff Austin’s Checklist for a Wet Painting Session.
Sangres Art Guild reserves the right to change or update these criteria at any time.