Stars of Custer County
SAG’s season kicks off this year with the Virtual Opening for the 2021 Stars of Custer County Calendar Art Show. Currently, we plan to hold the physical reception on June 6th at the 3rd Street Gallery, from 11am-5pm, with refreshments. This will be an open house type of reception, allowing for appropriate social distancing.
Please check the website to see if we will indeed proceed on that date.
The exhibition showcases 86 entries in multiple mediums from artists of the Southern Colorado region and beyond. The 2021 Calendar Show will run from May 2-June 29. (The show’s duration was extended two weeks due to pandemic-caused schedule changes). Please scroll down for images of the winning entries.
Artworks seen in the virtual show are available for purchase. Contact Terri, the gallery manager at email@example.com for details.
The 2021 Calendar is also available for purchase:
The Calendar Show entries were judged on March 9th by Coni Grant of Alamosa, who was hard-pressed to limit herself to only 12. She was very impressed with the quality of the entries and had a difficult time narrowing it to only 12! Thank you Coni!
Members of Dark Skies of the Wet Mountain Valley selected the cover, “Starry Crown for a King,” by Willdra-Walker Ruzanski and offered a separate cash prize. They liked its representation of the valley (mountains, foothills, elk), the Milky Way, and its representation of a phenomenon called Zodiacal light.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2021 Calendar Show competition in alphabetical order:
- Lorie Batson, “Hardscrabble Creek III,” Oil
- Tracy Cook-Wein, “In Yer Face,” Collage
- Curt Gillespie, “Rodeo Prayer,” Oil
- Jan Kraus, “Winter Solitude,” Oil
- Jean Krueger, “Shell Station,” Watercolor
- Karen LeBlond, “Star Party,” Raku Clay
- Tony Pachak, “Lake Visitor,” Oil
- Terra Raye, “Cone Star,” Photograph
- Gordon Schockey, “Wintergreen,” Photograph
- Judy Sprague, “Deep Night Sky,” Pastel
- Don Vawter, “Sunrise Moonset,” Photograph
- Willdra Walker-Ruzanski, “Starry Crown for a King,” Acrylic
- Terri Wiebke, “Tree Scape,” Pastel
There were 86 entries and 38 participating artists. All entries were accepted. Thanks to everyone for entering the show!