The Sangres Art Guild in Custer County, Colorado, promotes the arts in the Wet Mountain Valley to create an exceptional arts-centered destination where everyone can create, support, participate and enjoy the scenic beauty of the Wet Mountain Valley. We also operate the 3rd Street Gallery in Westcliffe. Explore the site to learn more. Look below for our latest announcements. Find ART CLASSES for all ages on the SAGArts page, and the Aaron Blaise Character Design Video Course here. Like us on Facebook. Check out Our Artists, our Events, Classes, Etc., Membership, Links, or learn more on the About SAG page.
The reception for the Photography and Table Top Show was held at the 3rd Street Gallery November 3rd. The show was enjoyed by local residents and art lovers from Highlands Ranch, Boulder, Denver and Colorado Springs.
The show boasted 23 artists showcasing 39 photos of various subject matter and 23 Table Top art pieces from Fine Art to 3 Dimensional Art. Entrants were from Custer County, Denver, Gardner, Canon City and Colorado Springs.
People’s Choice awards in Photography went to Gary Benson of Westcliffe for “Hay” and to Gerri Duke of Canon City for “Times Past.” The Table Top People’s Choice Award went to Charlene Roake of Colorado Springs for her oil “Winter Warmth.”
The show runs until November 24th. Make sure you come and check out this unique show, which is sponsored by the Sangres Art Guild and held at the 3rd St. Gallery at 59000 Highway 69 North. Our next show is our annual “Holiday Show” with an artists’ reception on Saturday, Dec. 1. The show runs from November 29th to December 22.
Congratulations to the winners of Alla Prima Westcliffe 2018:
- Best of Show ($1,000 + invitation to Art for the Sangres 2019): “Fences” by Jennifer Riefenberg
- First Place ($400): “Taylor Creek Afternoon” by Curt Gillespie
- Second Place ($300): “Old Faithful Nelle Belle” by Cliff Austin
- Third Place ($200): “Rebecca’s View” by Charlene Roake
- Dusk/Nocturne ($100, awarded by Dark Skies of the WMV): “Night Counselor” by Lorna Perkins
- Judson’s Art Outfitters Award #1 ($130 certificate): “Watching the Herd” by Rita Cirillo
- H.R. Meininger Award ($100 certificate): “Full Regalia” by Lorie Merfeld-Batson
- Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff Award ($100 certificate): “Skyward” by Bets Cole
- Front Range Frames Award ($80 frame): “Lookout Mountain” by Jeanene Parker
- Judson’s Art Outfitters Award #2 ($80 certificate): “White Chair” by Sheila Marie
- Jerry’s Artarama Pastel Award: “Pumpkin Time” by Terri Wiebke
- Jerry’s Artarama Oil Award: “Hermit Lake” by Tony Pachak
- Chartpak Watercolor Award: “Barn Door” by Mary-Lou Giacomelli
- Honorable Mention ($50 Judson’s certificate): “Dusky Train” by Lori Ganni
- Honorable Mention ($50 Blick Art Materials certificate): “Let’s Go!” by Sue Ann Hum
- Honorable Mention ($50 Blick Art Materials certificate): “Surrounded by Autumn Hues” by Jan Kraus
- Novice Award ($50 Blick Art Materials certificate): “Gibson Trail Head” by Glen Roberts
- Novice Award ($50 Blick Art Materials certificate): “Morning Over the Sangres” by Lorna Perkins
- Student Award ($25 Jerry’s Artarama certificate): “Country Road 119” by McKenzie Floyd
Arts Hullabaloo Chalk Art Winners:
- Jan Schissler, adult category, $25 certificate
- Lorna Perkins, adult category, $25 certificate
- First Place ($30): Hannah Kennedy, age 16
- Second Place ($20): Cassidy Trusty, age 12
- Third Place ($10): Wyatt Trusty, age 10
Pictures of the winning APW entries will be posted elsewhere, after they are processed (hang in there!).
Aaron’s presentation begins at 6:00 pm, followed by a screening of the Academy Award nominated film, Disney’s BROTHER BEAR, co-directed by Aaron.
Tickets on sale at Arterburn Gallery, 409 Main St. or Greenstone Artworks, 100 Main St.
Adults $10, Students $5. Seating is limited.
The early registration deadline for Alla Prima Westcliffe has been extended to September 16 (due to a communication glitch). Enter now for an opportunity at more than $3,500 in awards, merchandise and door prizes!
Sangres Art Guild (SAG) is sponsoring a class in Watercolor and/or Pastel Painting on Sept. 11 and 12 (Tues.,Wed.), 9:30-2pm. The cost is:
- $45 if supplies of either watercolor or pastels are needed
- $65. if both watercolor and pastel supplies are needed
- $25 if one uses their own materials and supplies, to include your own paper or grounds, paints/pastels,brushes and tools, pallets, etc.
We’ll discuss watercolor and pastel techniques, composition, a little color theory and more. There will be one demo each for watercolor and pastel. As an attendee you can choose to learn about either or both media. If you paint like an ace already, we encourage you to attend as your comments and input will be welcome. It’s a fun class.
Space is limited so if you have interest or questions, please email email@example.com or call Jean Krueger 518-867-5023.