Sangres Art Guild
@ 3rd St. Gallery, Westcliffe, Colorado
The 12th Annual Plein Air Paint-Out & Paint-In
September 24 – 29, 2018
Jump to Registration – Early deadline Sept. 1, 2018
Treat yourself to six brilliant Autumn days painting in the delightful Wet Mountain Valley of Colorado.
Sweeping scenic views of the magnificent Sangre de Cristo mountains, intimate outdoor scenes, historic architecture and special events await your creativity.
This paint-from-life event includes alla prima painting created from life in the manner of plein air, but not necessarily done outdoors.
Subject matter includes landscapes and ranch life, as well as figurative and still life. All paintings will be created from life during the event. Historic ranches and special sites will be open for landscape artists. Indoor painting counts in inclement weather!
The event takes place during the last week of September and culminates with a judged show and sale, artist’s reception and presentation of awards.
All Prima Westcliffe will again be held during the 12th annual Arts Hullabaloo in Westcliffe on September 29. This fun event highlights arts of all kinds all over town throughout the day. Come and expand your artistic horizons!
Juror – Tim Deibler
Tim Deibler is a graduate of the Art Institute of Colorado and worked in the commercial art and video production fields until becoming a full time fine artist in 1992. Since then, he won five Awards of Excellence at the Oil Painters of America’s National Juried Show. Best known for his beautiful portrayal of nature, he loves painting rugged mountain peaks, desert canyons and pounding surf.
With the success of his book “Capturing the Seasons in Oils” published by North Light Books, and the author of four instructional videos, he has become a popular teacher and workshop instructor. His work has been featured in Southwest Art and many other books and publications.
“Every time I look out the window or walk outside I’m in the mountains, making it much easier for me to observe the constant moods and nuances of nature. My goal is to portray what I’m experiencing in nature, I want the viewer of my work to say “I’d like to be there.”
- Best of Show: $750 cash
- First Place: $400 cash
- Second Place: $300 cash
- Third Place: $200 cash
- Dusk/Nocturne: $100 cash
- 2 Student Awards, $50 cash each
Plus merchandise awards – these are from last year, which we hope will be similar this year. We appreciate our sponsors!
- Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff Award: $200 certificate
- Judson’s Art Outfitters Award: $130 certificate
- Front Range Frames Award: $120 value plein air frame
- H.R. Meininger Award: $100 certificate
- Judson’s Art Outfitters Award: $80 certificate
Honorable Mention merchandise awards:
- Watercolor — Golden Artist Colors QoR paints, WC pads, brushes
- Acrylic — Golden Artist Colors OPEN & Principal Heavy Body acrylic sets
- Oil — Golden Artist Colors Williamsburg Handmade Oil Color landscape set
Novice merchandise awards:
- Watercolor — Grumbacher Academy watercolor set, WC pads, brushes
- Blick Art Materials $50 gift certificate
- Blick Art Materials $50 gift certificate
Plus randomly drawn “door prizes” for artists from:
- Blick Art Materials: Two $50 gift certificates as door prizes
- Judson’s Art Outfitters: $50 certificate
- Chartpak: Two 9×12 Watercolor pads
- SourceTek Canvas Panels: canvas panels
New this year! Bring a friend new to APW and get a gift certificate from a local merchant.
Early registration fee $35 (post-marked by September 1, 2018). Late registration fee $45 (after Sept. 1). STUDENT* registration fee $20. *Student, age 18-24 and actively enrolled in school.
Online Registration: By clicking Add to Cart you will be taken to a secure site where you can pay by credit card (MC, Visa, Discover, AMEX) or by Paypal.
Late registration Fee $45 after September 1 or the day you get your canvases, paper, or boards stamped on-site. Cash, check, and credit cards accepted (MC, Visa, Discover, AMEX).
Manual registration: please send checks to:
Sangres Art Guild
PO Box 205
Westcliffe, CO 81252
with your name, address, and email address – note it’s for APW.
If you experience any problems registering online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Still being determined, but here’s what we’re targeting….
- Check-in and canvas stamping is 10-5 every day at Greenstone Artworks, 100 Main Street, Westcliffe. Check in once, get all of your surfaces stamped, and ya don’t have to come back again. Need more stamped during the week? Come in again and get more stamped.
- Monday, September 24. Optionally paint at All Aboard Westcliffe or paint anywhere in the valley.
- Tuesday, September 25. Optionally paint Nuche (Ute) Native prayer trees at the Chipeta Forest Reserve, A Nuche Sacred Site or paint anywhere in the valley.
- Wednesday, September 26. Optionally paint at the Proctor Ranch or anywhere in the valley. Bohemian Night! Eat popcorn, enjoy artistic camaraderie, watch the movie “Loving Vincent” at Greenstone Artworks starting at 7pm.
- Thursday, September 27. Optionally paint at Music Meadows Ranch or paint anywhere in the valley. Optionally eat at the cookout at Music Meadows Ranch, 5-7 pm, price tbd.
- Friday, September 28. Intake for the competition is Friday!!! Register your competition artwork from 12-5pm at 3rd Street Gallery, 59000 N. Hwy 69, Westcliffe. Optionally join the pizza party at 3rd Street Gallery that evening; cost: free!
- Saturday, September 29. Participate in Arts Hullabaloo! Do some professional level chalk art on the street. Paint a live model. Paint in the park. Sell your artwork commission-free. Enjoy a Dixieland band, 3-4pm. Come with your clients to 3rd Street Gallery for the Reception and Awards ceremony, 3-5pm. Must be present to win door prizes.
Rules For The Alla Prima Competition
- Alla Prima for this event is defined as a painting of an outdoor or indoor scene done entirely on location. Use of photographic references is not allowed.
- All paintings entered must be 2 dimensional and completed during the event dates; all traditional mediums are accepted.
- Blank painting surfaces must be stamped at Greenstone Artworks (see maps below) prior to painting during the event. The gallery will be open at 10:00 a.m. each morning for registration and coffee/tea/goodies for artists.
- Artists can paint anywhere in Custer County and the Wet Mountain Valley during the event and/or their own indoor or outdoor set.
- Artists are strongly encouraged to paint in Jess Price Park on Saturday during Arts Hullabaloo. All sales by artists on Saturday in the park are commission-free and can be any kind of art the artist wants to offer for sale. Sales and sales tax must be handled by the artist. Artists can paint and sell off their easels or set up their own display booth. Booth fee is free to Alla Prima Westcliffe registered artists. Vendor application.
- Artwork for the main show MUST BE FRAMED (per Gallery Criteria; no gallery-wrapped or un-framed canvases – wet paint smudges the walls) and brought to the 3rd Street Gallery ready to hang by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 28. NO EXCEPTIONS! Late deliveries result in forfeit of registration fee.
- The back of the painting must be visibly stamped by SAG and marked with the artist’s name, title and medium.
- Limit 3 entries per artist.
- Limit 16″x20″ per painting. Size limit refers to standard (internal) frame dimensions. For matted works, the size refers to the external dimensions of the mat. Paintings cannot be larger than 16″x20″. Maximum square painting size is 16″x16″. (We’ve done away with the aggregate size requirements of the past.)
- Artists’ Reception and Show opening Saturday, September 29, 3:00 – 5:00 p.m., with Awards Ceremony at 4:00 p.m. Public welcome! Invite your clients, too!
- Commission for all Sales is 30% for SAG members, 40% for non-SAG members. You can join the guild during the event for the lower commission and have your dues current through 2019.
- Entrants must sign waivers of liability for the show. SAG assumes no liability for the paintings, however we will make our best effort to assure the security of the artwork once it is at the show.
- Entrants and their guests assume all liability for their presence and conduct on private property during the event. Please respect property owner’s rights. Do not trespass.
- Artists agree to the use of their images and images of their artwork for the limited purpose of promotional activities of the Sangres Art Guild.
- Unsold artwork must be removed by the artist or his/her representative on Sunday or Monday, October 28 or 29, *or* can be withdrawn after the artists reception by artists unable to leave their painting(s) for the full show. Buyers may remove the artwork with purchase.
- Artists must be 18 years or older to participate in the show.
Accommodations And Info About The Area
Suggestions For Artists
See Cliff Austin’s “Checklist for a Wet Painting Session”
We try our best, but these criteria are subject to minor changes at any time, especially during the summer when we’re still working on the details.