Sangres Art Guild
3rd St. Gallery, Westcliffe, Colorado
The 12th Annual Plein Air Paint-Out
September 24 – 29, 2018
Treat yourself to six brilliant Autumn days painting in the delightful Wet Mountain Valley of Colorado.
Sweeping scenic views of the magnificent Sangre de Cristo mountains, intimate outdoor scenes, historic architecture and special events await your creativity.
This paint-from-life event includes alla prima painting created from life in the manner of plein air, but not necessarily done outdoors.
Subject matter includes landscapes and ranch life, as well as figurative and still life. All paintings will be created from life during the event. Historic ranches and special sites will be open for landscape artists. Indoor painting counts in inclement weather!
The event takes place during the last week of September and culminates with a judged show and sale, artist’s reception and presentation of awards.
All Prima Westcliffe runs during the 12th annual Arts Hullabaloo in Westcliffe, culminating on September 29. This fun event highlights arts of all kinds all over town throughout the week. Come and expand your artistic horizons!
Finalize your art enjoyment at the prestigious Art for the Sangres exhibition and benefit for the San Isabel Land Protection Trust. Art for the Sangres showcases remarkable art for a vital cause – helping to protect land, water and wildlife while there is still time.
The fine art show and reception is San Isabel Land Protection Trust’s largest fundraiser. Kate Kiesler is the 2018 Featured Artist. The land trust has protected nearly 41,000 acres of working ranches, agricultural and forest lands, water resources, wildlife habitat and scenic open spaces throughout southern Colorado.
Juror – Tim Deibler
Tim Deibler is a graduate of the Art Institute of Colorado and worked in the commercial art and video production fields until becoming a full time fine artist in 1992. Since then, he won five Awards of Excellence at the Oil Painters of America’s National Juried Show. Best known for his beautiful portrayal of nature, he loves painting rugged mountain peaks, desert canyons and pounding surf.
With the success of his book “Capturing the Seasons in Oils” published by North Light Books, and the author of four instructional videos, he has become a popular teacher and workshop instructor. His work has been featured in Southwest Art and many other books and publications.
“Every time I look out the window or walk outside I’m in the mountains, making it much easier for me to observe the constant moods and nuances of nature. My goal is to portray what I’m experiencing in nature, I want the viewer of my work to say “I’d like to be there.”
Saturday or Sunday, September 22 or 23 (9 am – 4 pm), tune up your skills for a week of fun painting at the plein air workshop taught by Tim Deibler for only $75. Tim will demonstrate creating a plein air artwork in the morning, followed by his expert coaching in the afternoon. Join the workshop and get charged up for painting in the Sangres! Sign up in the “Registration” section below.
This workshop was originally set for Sunday, but due to the overwhelming popularity, another day was added (Saturday). If you sign up (below), please let us know which day you’d like to attend: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Best of Show: $1,000 cash + an invitation to the 2019 Art for the Sangres exhibition
- First Place: $400 cash
- Second Place: $300 cash
- Third Place: $200 cash
- Dusk/Nocturne: $100 cash, sponsored by Dark Skies of the Wet Mountain Valley
- 2 Student Awards, each a $25 Jerry’s Artarama E-Gift Card
Plus merchandise awards. We appreciate our sponsors!
- Judson’s Art Outfitters Award: $130 certificate
- H.R. Meininger Award: $100 certificate
- Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff Award: $100 certificate
- Jerry’s Artarama Pastel Award: Mungyo Gallery Artists’ Handmade Soft Pastel Set of 60 Colors ($186)
- Jerry’s Artarama Oil Award: Charvin Fine Oil Painting Set of 5 Colors ($148)
- Chartpak Watercolor Award: Grumbacher Finest Watercolor Primary Set of Paints + Watercolor and Mixed Media Pads + Apron + Molotow Masking Pens ($110)
- Front Range Frames Award: $80 value plein air frame
- Judson’s Art Outfitters Award: $80 certificate
Honorable Mention awards:
- Judson’s Art Outfitters $50 certificate
- Blick Art Materials $50 gift certificate
- Blick Art Materials $50 gift certificate
Plus randomly drawn “door prizes” for artists from:
- Chartpak Mijello Mission Gold Watercolor Set + Indigo Art Paper watercolor pad
- Chartpak: Koh-I-Noor Tri-tone Pencils + Koh-I-Noor Bristol Smooth Pad, Pencil and Pad easel case
- Golden Artist Colors QoR mini paint set
- Golden Artist Colors Williamsburg Handmade Oil Color set
- SourceTek Canvas Panels: canvas panels
- Ravens’ Nook one-night free lodging
New this year! Previous attendees, bring a friend new to APW and get a gift certificate from a local merchant.
Early registration fee $50 (post-marked by Sept. 1; online by Sept. 16). Late registration fee $60 (after Sept. 16). STUDENT* registration fee $35. *Student, age 18-24 and actively enrolled in school.
Online Registration: By clicking Add to Cart you will be taken to a secure site where you can pay by credit card (MC, Visa, Discover, AMEX) or by Paypal.
>> Registration has closed <<
Manual registration: please send checks to:
Sangres Art Guild
PO Box 205
Westcliffe, CO 81252
with your name, address, and email address – note it’s for APW.
If you experience any problems registering online, please email email@example.com.
- Check-in and canvas stamping is at Greenstone Artworks, 100 Main Street, Westcliffe. Check in once & get all of your surfaces stamped, or come in again during the week and get more stamped.
Saturday, September 22 – added day
Sunday, September 23
Monday, September 24
Canvas stamping 8-5 at Greenstone Artworks.
The painting competition begins. Optionally paint at All Aboard Westcliffe or paint anywhere in the valley. See maps below, which will also be a part of your artist’s registration packet.
Tuesday, September 25
Canvas stamping 8-10 a.m. at Greenstone Artworks or at Bohemian Night (see below) or by special arrangement, please text 505-301-1582.
8:00 a.m. — Optionally paint the Nuche (Ute) native prayer trees or costumed Native American Nuche at the private Nuche Forest and Wildlife Reserve, a Nuche Sacred Site just being (re)discovered and in the early stages of development. More info about the day can be found here. Spirit Animal Wood Sculpture Competition. For more about the Nuche, see Colorado Experience: The Original Coloradans. See map below, which will also be a part of your artist’s registration packet. Lunch at the Reserve is included today.
Or paint anywhere in the valley.
Wednesday, September 26
Canvas stamping 8-10 a.m. or 4-6 p.m. at Greenstone Artworks or by special arrangement, please text 505-301-1582.
8:00 am — Optionally paint at the Proctor Ranch or paint anywhere in the valley. See map below, which will also be a part of your artist’s registration packet.
6:00 pm — Aaron Blaise, artist and animator extraordinaire, and co-director of the Disney film Brother Bear will present “Persistence of Vision”, Aaron’s journey through the world of animation. The presentation will be followed by the screening of Brother Bear at the Historic Jones Theater. Brother Bear earned an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature Film. Admission $10/adult, $5/students/children gets you into both the Aaron Blaise presentation and the film. Buy tickets here.
Thursday, September 27
8:00 am — artists may arrive to begin set up and paint.
9:00 am – 12 noon — horse/handler model at Music Meadows Ranch.
12 noon – 2:00 pm — Scrumptious BBQ lunch at Music Meadows Ranch.
2:00 – 5:00 pm — horse/buggy/handler model at Music Meadows Ranch.
All Music Meadows Ranch stuff is included in your registration fee (tip jar available for models and host).
Friday, September 28
Canvas stamping 10-5 at Greenstone Artworks.
Intake for the competition is Friday at 3rd Street Gallery !!!
2:00-5:00 pm — Registration of competition artwork at 3rd Street Gallery, 59000 N. Hwy 69, Westcliffe.
5:00 – ?? — Join the free pasta party for participating artists at 3rd Street Gallery that evening.
Saturday, September 29
Participate in Arts Hullabaloo!
9:00 am – 12 noon — Paint a cowboy or steam punk model in the park. Paint other stuff in the park. Sell your artwork commission-free. Do some professional level chalk art on the street. Show off!
3:00 – 4:00 pm — Enjoy a Jazz/Swing/Bossa-Nova band at 3rd Street Gallery.
3:00 – 5:00 pm — Reception and Awards ceremony. Come with your clients to 3rd Street Gallery. Must be present to win artist’s door prizes. There will be a “Drawing for a Drawing” — put your name in the hat for an opportunity to own an original drawing by Lorie Merfeld-Batson.
Also Saturday, September 29
1:00 – 3:00 pm — Open admission to view artwork at Art for the Sangres.
5:00 – 8:00 pm — Optionally attend the Art for the Sangres exhibition and benefit for the San Isabel Land Protection Trust. Fine art, heavy hors d’oeuvres, open bar and all for a very good cause! Discounted ticket prices for APW artists (see Registration “Please Choose” box).
Rules For The Alla Prima Competition
- Alla Prima for this event is defined as a painting of an outdoor or indoor scene done entirely on location. Use of photographic references is not allowed.
- All paintings entered must be 2 dimensional and completed during the event dates; all traditional mediums are accepted.
- Blank painting surfaces must be stamped at Greenstone Artworks (see maps below) prior to painting during the event. The gallery will be open at 10:00 a.m. each morning for registration and coffee/tea/goodies for artists.
- Artists can paint anywhere in Custer County and the Wet Mountain Valley during the event and/or their own indoor or outdoor set.
- Artists are strongly encouraged to paint in Jess Price Park on Saturday during Arts Hullabaloo. A cowboy and a steam punk model will be available, as well as other scenes. All sales by artists on Saturday in the park are commission-free and can be any kind of art the artist wants to offer for sale. Sales and sales tax must be handled by the artist. Artists can paint and sell off their easels or set up their own display booth. Booth fee is free to Alla Prima Westcliffe registered artists. Vendor application.
- Artwork for the main show MUST BE FRAMED (per Gallery Criteria; no gallery-wrapped or un-framed canvases – wet paint smudges the walls) and brought to the 3rd Street Gallery ready to hang between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 28. NO EXCEPTIONS! Late deliveries result in forfeit of registration fee.
- The back of the painting must be visibly stamped by SAG and marked with the artist’s name, title and medium.
- Limit 3 entries per artist.
- Maximum artwork size is 16″x20″ per painting. Does not include matting or framing. (We’ve done away with the aggregate size requirements of the past.)
- Artists’ Reception and Show opening Saturday, September 29, 3:00 – 5:00 p.m., with Awards Ceremony at 4-ish. Public welcome! Invite your clients, too!
- Commission for all Sales is 30% for SAG members, 40% for non-SAG members. You can join the guild during the event for the lower commission and have your dues current through 2019.
- Entrants must sign waivers of liability for the show. SAG assumes no liability for the paintings, however we will make our best effort to assure the security of the artwork once it is at the show.
- Entrants and their guests assume all liability for their presence and conduct on private property during the event. Please respect property owner’s rights. Do not trespass.
- Artists agree to the use of their images and images of their artwork for the limited purpose of promotional activities of the Sangres Art Guild.
- Unsold artwork must be removed by the artist or his/her representative on Sunday or Monday, October 28 or 29, *or* can be withdrawn after the artists reception by artists unable to leave their painting(s) for the full show. Buyers may remove the artwork with purchase.
- Artists must be 18 years or older to participate in the show.
Accommodations And Info About The Area
- Custer County Tourism Board
- Custer County Chamber of Commerce
- Lamp Post Lodge, participating artists rates.
- Hillside, Colorado, participating artists rates.
- Music Meadows Ranch (sorry, already booked for APW 2018)
- Blue Moon Pottery RV Parking. Phone 719-371-3249. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ravens’ Airbnb. Call 719-210-1515; Four sites to choose from.
Suggestions For Artists
Bring your own chair for the the Proctor Ranch talk, and your chair and a beverage for Bohemian night.
See Cliff Austin’s “Checklist for a Wet Painting Session”
We try our best, but these criteria are subject to minor changes at any time, especially during the summer when we’re still improving the details.