The Sangres Art Guild in Custer County, Colorado, promotes the arts in the Wet Mountain Valley to create an exceptional arts-centered destination where everyone can create, support, participate and enjoy the scenic beauty of the Wet Mountain Valley. We also operate the 3rd Street Gallery in Westcliffe. Explore the web site to learn more. Look below for our latest announcements. Search the Archives for older posts. Now go create!
Congratulations to the winners of the 11th annual Alla Prima Westcliffe plein air paint-out …and paint-in. Thirty five artists participated and entered some 80 paintings or so. The Artist’s reception on Saturday, September 23, was a buffet of excellence and beautiful, quality artwork. Award winners are listed below. Pictures of the artwork will be uploaded at a later time.
- Best Of Show: “Aspen Impressions – Fall Equinox” by Jennifer Riefenberg of Castle Rock, CO
- First Place: “Stream at Trails End” by David Vollbracht of Medicine Lodge, KS
- Second Place: “Beckwith” by Ken Hartman of Colorado Springs, CO
- Third Place: “Mary’s Cabin” by Lorie Merfeld-Batson of Westcliffe, CO
- Best Dusk/Nocturne: “Working Late” by Teri Hendrix of Centennial, CO
- Wet Mountain Valley Saddle Club’s Country Strong Teens: “Annie Paints the Horses Ass” by Paul Darrah of Fairplay, CO
- Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff award: “The First Day of Autumn” by Carole Buschmann of Denver, CO
- Judson’s Art Outfitters award #1: “Alla Prima” by Jeannie Demarinis of Jamestown, CO
- Front Range Frames award: “Sunrise on Colony Baldy” by Curt Gillespie of Westcliffe, CO
- H.R. Meininger award: “Grape Creek” by Jamie Micelli of Colorado Springs, CO
- Judson’s Art Outfitters award #2: “My Wild Flowers” by Shu Shu Butterworth-Clark of Westcliffe, CO
- Honorable Mention: “Kale, Main Street” by Jean Krueger of Westcliffe, CO
- Honorable Mention: “Just Starting to Change” by Ken Hartman of Colorado Springs, CO
- Honorable Mention: “Nellie Belle” by Jean Echternach of Denver, CO
- Novice award: “Working Late” by Teri Hendrix of Centennial, CO
- Novice award: “Proctor Ranch” by Lila McClellan of Coledale, CO
- Novice award: “Imagination Mountain” by Donna Hartman of Greenwood Village, CO
Congratulations also go to chalk art winners Calvin Moore and the team of Brooklyn & Jackson Moore, all of Aurora, Colorado, for their winning artwork in the Arts Hullabaloo chalk art contest. The entries tied for first place!
Congrats go to First Place Peoples’ Choice winner Madeleine Woods for her painting Guilded in oil and gold leaf. Second place went to Greg Smith for his photograph Tricolored Heron in Fog.
Honorable Mentions were also awarded to Jacqueline Keller for her painting Sunflower and to Madeleine Woods for her oil painting Pretty Boy.
Its a good show! Hanging through September 21. Go see it!
Congratulations go to the Peoples’ Choice award winners of the 2017 SAG Fiber Arts Show! Twelve artists created 26 entries and the show looks great! Lots of folks attended the ice cream social that accompanied the artists’ reception. Luscious pies of various flavors were served with tasty homemade ice cream. More than 70 people cast votes for the Peoples’ Choice awards:
- 1st Place Wall Art and Quilts ($50): Sharon Schlotzhauer for Uninvited Guest
- Honorable Mention: Liz VanSomeren for Showers and Blessings
- Honorable Mention: Liz VanSomeren for Flutter and Flora
- 1st Place Wearable Art ($50): Terri Wiebke for Happy Easter
- Honorable Mention: Susan Raymer for Southwest Jacket
- Honorable Mention: Rhonda Denney for Leather Cape – Art Nouveau
- 1st Place Home Decor ($50): Cheryl Swartz for Tune in a Basket
- Honorable Mention: Joni Liebman for Placemats Yellow and Green Edges
- Honorable Mention: Debra Waggoner for Work of our Hands
Congrats to the winners of the Peoples’ Choice awards at the artists’ reception for the 2018 Calendar Show. Thanks for everyone who participated and voted.
The winners are:
Fine Art: Into the Oak Brush, Oil by Michael Arterburn
Honorable Mentions: Ranch For Sale, Oil by Lorie Merfeld/Batson and On The Move, Watercolor by Curt Gillespie
Photography: Born to Run by Autumn Ginnetti
Honorable Mentions: Frosty Morning Near Hillside by Greg Smith and Beckwith Ranch Sunrise by Eve Nagode
New to Sangres Art Guild this year is a Fiber Arts Show! Local and regional talent can enter the show on June 25 and 26 for cash prizes based on People’s Choice voting. The show is open to all artists. Pieces representing fiber media of all types are welcome, including weaving, spinning, dyeing, basketry, sculpture, felting, quilting, papermaking, knitting, crocheting, and embroidery. An Ice Cream Social will accompany the show’s Artists’ Reception on July 1st.